Monday, June 7, 2010

My Secret Weapon

To call me an amateur golfer would be a major misnomer. The word "amateur" implies that a person is really good at something (in this case, golf) and has the potential to become a professional at it. I prefer to refer to myself as a golf "hobbyist", which indicates that golfing is something I enjoy doing but am not necessarily good at it. Heck, I only golf about two or three times a year, four if I'm lucky. It's not like I am loaded with money and can afford expensive equipment and personal lessons. I am mostly self-taught via Golf Magazine and golf tip videos on YouTube. Thankfully, I have a neighbor, Keith, who played team golf in High School and continues to play to this day. He has given me tips as well that have been helpful.

Yesterday, Keith and I met up with a couple other guys, both named Brian, at the Lexington Country Club to play a round on their beautiful golf course. I had never played this course before, so my expectations in terms of how I would play were even lower than for the Vista Links course in Buena Vista, where I normally play. As expected, I did not do well. I shot a round of 137. I got smoked by the three other guys in our foursome. I just couldn't get my driver to work, which I always considered to be one of my strengths, if I have any. My putting wasn't half bad. I was able to two-putt most greens. But what good is that if it took you 8 or 9 shots to get on the green in the first place.

On most holes, I shot a 7 or 8. On some tougher holes, however, I shot a 10 or 11. I was getting frustrated. I think I threw my 9-iron down in anger at one point. I don't know why I have such high expectations of myself, given my severe lack of formal golf training. I guess I am just a competitive person. Or maybe it was the fact that I hadn't met the Brians before Sunday, and was embarrassed by my play compared to theirs. Normally, I play with my friend Andy, and he and I are at the same skill level. So it doesn't matter how bad we play because we both play poorly. Whatever it was, I was starting to not enjoy my day. Then, of course, it started raining. From the 15th hole on, we had intermittent rain showers. On one hand, nothing is worse than golfing in a downpour. On the other hand, it was a great respite from the scorching sun and heat. But for me, the rain was reinforcing the negativity I had brewing inside me. And then, the strangest thing happened.

We tee up on the Par-4 16th hole. I, of course, was the last one to tee off, since I always had the worst score on the previous hole. So I tee up, and somehow hit a perfect tee shot that starts off down the center of the fairway and curves right and lands safely on the right side of the fairway. I think to myself "That's the best drive I have had all day." Keith and I approach my ball on the fairway. I probably have about 200 yards or so to the green. Before I go on, let me go off on a slight tangent. The one club in my bag, besides my putter, that was working for me was my
5-Hybrid club. It became my weapon of choice for long approach shots. If I had my
5h in hand, I knew I could knock the hell out of the ball, and that the ball would land close enough to the green to do a decent pitch shot.

So when I approached my ball on the 16th fairway, I had no doubt what club I was going to select for my approach shot. I grab my 5h out of the bag and I line my shot up. Given my previous experiences, I was going to be happy to land the ball near the front of the green. I take my swing, and as I track my ball, I think to myself "That is the best swing I have taken all day with that club." Sure enough, the ball bounced in the rough in front of the green. But it didn't stop there. It proceeded to bounce up onto the green and slowed down immensely. When it finally rested, it was 15 feet to the left of the flag stick. I was on the green in 2 shots!!! That NEVER happens!!!

After Keith and Brian-squared make their shots, we proceed onto the green. It hits me that I have an opportunity to make birdie! Moreover, it hits the other guys that I have that chance. Keith makes an off-handed that the Brian with whom he works (who lives in Ohio, and dates a stripper from Roanoke) will buy me a case of beer if I make the birdie putt. Brian agrees to do so. I didn't expect I would make that putt, because it was just a bit outside of my putting comfort zone. But I make my read on the putt and surmise that there will be a slight break to the right. I line up to make my putt. This is when the golf gods truly smiled upon me. I had the right speed, and the correct read. We watched as my putt traveled 15 feet and went right in the center of the hole. I had made my first birdie EVER!!! You know how people say "Act like you've been there before"? That statement was lost on me yesterday, cuz guess what? I had never birdied a hole before. Hell, I had never parred a hole before! The other guys were excited for me as well, seeing as they had watched me hack my way around the previous 15 holes. Ohio Brian confirmed that he was going to have to buy me a case of beer.

After that, I resumed my usual level of play, getting a 7 and an 8 on the final two holes, respectively. But my experience on the 16th got me thinking: People stick with golf because when they first start off, those rare instances where they make a great shot, or series of shots, keep them thinking "Hey, I can do this!". The feelings of embarrassment, frustration, and golf inadequacy gave way to pride, happiness and the repetitious thought "Man, I love golf!". Keith had been telling me all afternoon that we were just out here to have fun. I found myself losing sight of that before the 16th hole. Nothing like your first birdie to remind you golf is fun! What's even better is that, even though I had the worst round, by far, I was the only person in our group who had a birdie the whole round.

So I look forward to my next round of golf, and more birdies. Now that I know that my 5-Hybrid is my secret weapon, I might be able to get more birdies!

No comments:

Post a Comment