Monday, September 6, 2010

Frayed Nerves

I'm a nervous wreck right now. I am on-call for work today, and sitting in my office, and I am just a bundle of nerves. Though the College Football season started this past Thursday, and has gone on through the weekend, the only game I give a shit about is tonight. I have had this date in my mind for the past several months, since I found out the Virginia Tech-Boise State game was being moved from October to the first game of the season.

In a way, I hate it when the Hokies play a tough opponent for their first game. With a new season comes a new set of questions about how good or not good this version of the Hokies will be. I know going into tonight that the offense is solid! Tyrod is a senior, the wide receivers are in their third year, and they have a hellacious 1-2 punch at Tailback with Ryan Williams and Darren Evans, both 1000-yard rushers. The unknown quantities with the 2010 Hokies is the defense, which had to replace 7 starters, and the kicking game. So I hate going into a game against a tough opponent such as BSU not knowing what the Hokies will look like. At least if you have a few games against lesser opponents, the offense and defense have the opportunity to get in sync. But this is the first game, and they are playing a Boise team that returns a total of 21 starters from last year. That team went 14-0 last season, and they are one year more experienced. So I have been sitting here thinking about what it will take for VT to beat the Broncos. I figure it has to start with the running game. Ram the ball down Boise's throat to keep their high-powered offense off the field. And then pray that the defense can figure out Kellen Moore and the rest of the Boise offense pretty quickly. I have faith in Bud Foster's ability to get his guys prepared. But most of our defense is inexperienced. Damn I'm nervous.

And Pessimistic! Why? Maybe it's because VT is 0-21 against Top-5 ranked opponents away from Blacksburg. This game is at FedEx Field in Landover, MD. Essentially a home game, probably 90% of the fans will be rooting for VT. But that was the case several years ago when VT lost to USC at FedEx Field. So I am just going to say this:

It's time, Hokies! It's time you grab the respect you and your coach so well deserve. That national recognition that seems so fleeting. ACC Championships and Orange Bowl wins are great. But you know that case we have for our National Championship Crystal Ball? It's still empty! That means you have to play like you are possessed tonight, and for the whole season. God knows, all of our tough ACC games are on the road this year, for the most part. Miami is much improved, as is Florida State. It's not going to be easy. But beating Boise State tonight would go a long way to building the confidence needed to believe that no one can beat you!

So here's me cheering my VT Hokies on! Have a great game! I know I will have no fingernails left when all is said and done! I need a drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment