Friday, May 28, 2010

Yes I'm sure Mary Berry doesn't live here!

The next time you move and have to get a new land line phone number, pray that you take over a number from someone who had their finances in order. It gets frustrating to no end when bill collectors, lawyers, and other such professionals call nonstop looking for Mary Berry, who I am guessing had our phone number before we did. She apparently has no money either, and hasn't paid a bill at least since August, when we moved into our home. So when one of these debt collectors calls and I inform them that they have the wrong number, they start asking my wife or I twenty questions to see if they can "trick" me into telling them how to get hold of Mary Berry. I feel like telling them that I would like to know as well so I can slap her face for not managing her finances better, thereby putting me under an invisible spotlight any time someone calls wanting their money. They ask me if I know the woman and when I tell them I do not, they seriously follow up with the question "Well, do you know how to reach her?" Are you effing serious? I just told you I don't know her, you Ph.D candidate!!!! The guy today, who was nicer than some of the others that have been, still asked "So this isn't Mary Berry's number?" I know they are just doing their job, but is grilling me really necessary? My wife and I have our finances in order, and after all the shit we have been through on behalf of Mary Berry, we are going to do our damndest to make sure they stay in order.

Mary Berry is probably not even in Virginia at this point in time. She probably had her identity changed and is probably a waitress at some run-down diner in the Arizona desert. Meanwhile, I am waiting for the day when some mafiosos from New Jersey come busting through our door looking for Mary. If that happens, I think I will have to start looking for her myself so we can have a conversation about personal finances.

No comments:

Post a Comment